[NSRCA-discussion] Competition question

Lance Van Nostrand patterndude at tx.rr.com
Sun Dec 17 16:36:20 AKST 2006

Solutions are hard to come by.  I attended the Kansas contest this year and they have a unique situation where they can run the two flight lines almost perpendicular to each other.  The pilot stations are about 50 yards apart, but we pit between them and it isn't bad at all.  I expected the interferance factor to be negligible, but that wasn't the case.  The two flight planes were not independent.  They Kindof made a "tee", but the overlap was only a little bit.  Anyway, two planes in the same corners of the box traveling at right angles to each other felt a lot more dangerous than planes that fly in formation.

I think its like traveling down the highway with traffic changing lanes but everyone is going the same way, vs being alone on the highway but having a cross road where people occasionally drive straight across your path without stopping.

After this experience I began to think that the next best solution is to keep the 2 lines parallel, but put one pilot station 10 yards behind the other (but use the same runway).  This offsets the 150m plane so the better the pilot the less the danger.

Thoughts?
-_Lance