[NSRCA-discussion] Competition question

Bob Richards bob at toprudder.com
Sun Dec 17 03:19:21 AKST 2006

A guy I flew with back in the 90s had three midairs in one season. The first two were his planes, both totally destroyed. The last was with my airplane that he had borrowed for the last contest. It survived.

  Bob R.

Keith Black <tkeithblack at gmail.com> wrote:
          Years ago the list had a discussion on these percentages (check the archives), then I had two mid-airs in the span of four contests.

  I'd say in the 4 1/2 years I've been going to contests about 50% of the contests have had mid-airs, sometimes multiple mid-airs. Sometimes both planes lost, sometimes planes were saved. To me that's a huge percentage. When I leave a contest with no crashed/mid-aired planes these days I feel we were very lucky.

  Still, if you asked me would I rather risk a mid-air or fly only three flights I'd go with the mid-air risk to get in the six flights. After all, we're here to fly, not for static displays.

  Keith Black