[NSRCA-discussion] OS160 Longevity

vicenterc at comcast.net vicenterc at comcast.net
Sun Dec 17 14:29:55 AKST 2006

Hi Mike,

I have 3 OS 160.  It is just luck that yours rear bearing lasted longer than usual in that particular engine.  I have the same experience with one of the OS 160 I have been using in the last few years.  The other two the bearing survived not more than about 30 flights.  Yes, that happened the day before KCRC contest.  My advice is that you replace that bearing before next season start.  You will be fine for the whole season.  Better yet, order two bearings right away because you are going to need the spare one in the future.

I flew my YAK in the last few days that we have great weather.  Guess what, I noticed lost of power and clearly the bearing is going bad.  I always have one spare OS 160 with a new bearing ready to be swapped.  I just did it today and I have the spare bearing.  Therefore, I always keep one engine with a new bearing ready to go.

Say hello to all.

Vicente "Vince" Bortone

From: Zoro1024 at aol.com

I know this may sound like a smart a-- remark, 'but I'm still waiting for the dreaded OS160 rear bearing failure.  I know it will probably happen when I least want it to, but I've got about a hundred flights on 'mine with the stock bearing and it just keeps on running like new.  I have had a once in a while stutter when it went vertical, but got so much power it just keeps going anyway.  I run OMEGA 15% and OS type F plug, Perry pump.  I flew 6 rounds today, set the ATV to 80%, way too much power on cool days:-) Thanks to Jon and Bob for all their tips, oh and Art too. Noe that I've said this it'll probably croak the next time I fly.

Mike H.