[NSRCA-discussion] 2007 Rules interpretation

JonLowe at aol.com JonLowe at aol.com
Mon Dec 11 19:30:31 AKST 2006

Somehow my response to Steve didn't get posted to the list. It is below.
Remember, we were flying 2007 rules, not 2006.  The zone is 30 meters.

Here is my attempted post:

"Steve,
I wasn't pointing fingers, and if you or others took it that way, I sincerely
apologize. My point was that since we have new rules, and since this was the
first contest that used them, we can take this as an opportunity to make sure
everyone understands the situation. The situation on landings is a little
confusing.  Unfortunately, the only "official" place to find the 2007 rules, since
they haven't been formally published, is under the proposed rules section on
the AMA site.  That is where it says the landing zone is 30 meters.  The new
rules are at:

http://www.modelaircraft.org/Comp/proposals.htm

I think the confusion stems from the landing zone of 30 meters for 2007, vs.
the former landing area of 100 meters, if the later even still even exists.
Your landing zone for 2007 IS standard and correct at 30 meters, so don't buy
any black paint!  The only confusion was whether or not landing outside the
zone was a zero.

The entire approved proposal is:

"Landing.  The landing maneuver will be scored in half point increments from
10 to 0.  The maneuver will start two (2) meters from the ground.  The model
flares smoothly to a nose high altitude, dissipating flying speed, then
smoothly touches the ground, within the landing zone.  The maneuver should be
considered complete once the plane has slowed below flying speed and rolled 10 meters
or comes to a stop and no further downgrades shall be applied after that
point.

The landing zone shall be marked by lines placed perpendicular across the
runway and spaced 30 meters apart.  The width of the landing zone is normally the
width of the runway but in no case shall exceed 30 meters.  Landing is not a
centered maneuver and there is no downgrade for displacement of the touchdown
point left or right from center as long as the landing is in the landing zone.
 It the touchdown is within the runway but not in the landing zone it should
be downgraded proportionate to the distance outside the landing zone.  The
Contest Director may designate any landing zone appropriate to the field if
safety considerations dictate.  If the landing zone is anything other than standard
it should be thoroughly discussed with the pilots and judging before flying
is started and no downgrade shall be applied due to the touchdown in the
non-standard landing zone.  The landing will not be downgraded if:
Wing dips which are caused by air turbulence unless they are not immediately
corrected.
The pilot “slips to a landing” to handle a crosswind condition in which case
a wig will be low.
The model rolls to a controlled stop with 10 meters.
Downgrades:
Model passes behind the judges line, zero (0) points.
Model impacts the runway due to lack of flare.
Model bounces.
Changes in track.
Model ends on its back, zero (0) points.
Model lands outside landing zone.
If any undercarriage retracts before the landing is complete, zero (0)
points.
Aircraft “porpoises” and/or wanders during approach or flare.
Aircraft land outside the landing area or runway, zero (0) points.
Aircraft touches down while not straight to runway and ground track.

Submitted by:  Don Ramsey, AMA #6096"
Again, I had a ball at your contest, and sincerely apologize again if what I
said sounded like criticism.  That was not my intent.
See you over Christmas.  I should be at RCACF several times.
Jon"

Jon Lowe

In a message dated 12/11/2006 7:23:39 PM Central Standard Time,