[NSRCA-discussion] regulators

Ed Alt ed_alt at hotmail.com
Wed Dec 6 09:58:12 AKST 2006

It's a linear regulator.  It appears to be working properly too.  Check his
numbers:  No regulator, load battery voltage is 8.2V.  Drops to 7.84V at 500
mA load.  A drop of 0.36V.  Add the Jaccio and he gets a drop of .39V.  The
regulator added a bit more resistive wiring, accounting for the majority of
the extra 0.03V loss.

At 1A, no regulator it's a drop (change) of 0.69V.  Add the regulator and
the drop is only 0.48V.  That's BETTER performance as far as the load is
concerned.

At 1.5A, no regulator it's a drop of 1.0V.  Add the regulator and the drop
is only 0.57V.  Better than an unregulated arrangement again.

This is the key: the percentage of change at the load is less with the
regulator added.  With the regulator at 1.5A it was only a 9.3% change.
Without the regulator it was a 12.2% change.  For all practical purposes,
the 3% improvement was due to the regulator reducing the effect of the
battery wiring and internal resistance of the battery.  Also realize that
this change is nearly 100% due to resistive loss (I.e. voltage developed or
"dropped") along the wiring AFTER the regulator. The only way to get around
this is as I mentioned in an earlier post - put a small regulator out at
each servo.  That's cool, it works, it's not strictly necessary though.

To sum it up, keep in mind that with no regulator, assuming you could use it
unregulated, the battery is going to wind down all day long and you will see
that effect in servo response.  By going with a LiPo, the results will be
consistent all day long.

Ed