[NSRCA-discussion] regulators

J.Oddino joddino at socal.rr.com
Wed Dec 6 09:40:39 AKST 2006

Bob, Ed, et al,
First of all, the Jaccio (say Jackie O) regulator does not regulate at no
load.  The i4C must put a slight load on it or you would see the full
battery voltage at no load.  So the real drop you measured is about .18
volts from the idle current condition.  This is made up of droop in the
regulator and loss in the wiring.  The regulator drop is spec'd at .2 volts
at 5 amps so it is proportionately less at 1.5 amps.  The regulator is a
servo so it must have an error between commanded value and output to set the
"gain".  Gain is defined as output divided by commanded input.  We'd like it
to be one, but we'd end up with an oscillator or a regulator with a very
slow response time.  I tried a design where I sensed the voltage on the
receiver buss instead of internally in the regulator and had a terrible time
keeping it from oscillating.  The idea was to eliminate the drop between the
regulator and the receiver buss but I decided it wasn't worth it.
There have been countless discussions about wiring losses and these are
significant in IMAC and other giant scale type models.  I don't believe we
need to worry about it in pattern planes but maybe we could provide quicker
elevator response in snaps for guys like Dave L would do everything they can
to get high speed and high torque.  Higher voltage at the servo is the
easiest way to get that result.  Someday maybe I'll try to measure the
voltage at the servo during flight.
I totally agree with Ed that you are still better off with a Lithium pack
and one regulator instead of a five cell NiMH pack and no regulator, because
even though you don't have perfect regulation at the servo, it is consistent
from flight to flight as the pack discharges.

Jim O