[NSRCA-discussion] regulators

Ed Alt ed_alt at hotmail.com
Wed Dec 6 06:38:09 AKST 2006

Bob:
The regulator is probably doing just fine. Every regulator that's out there
for use in our models has one thing in common.  They regulate the voltage
output at the point that the regulator is physically connected to.  They
can't "see" the actual voltage at the end of the wires where your servos
are. They can only see it at the point where the pins leave the regulator IC
package.  What is happening is that a voltage drop is developing across all
of the wiring in between the regulator and the load where you are measuring.
The voltage drop is calculated by E=IR, where voltage is E, current is I and
R is resistance.

There are two ways to accomplish regulation at the load.  One is to have a
remote sense design to the voltage regulator system, which actually takes
the true voltage at the point where the load connects and feeds that back to
the regulator, to permit the regulator to compensate for the losses in the
wiring. In practice, this would not work for our application, since the load
varies at each servo, so if servo 1 is drawing a bunch of current and thus
experiencing a lower voltage, the other servos actually don't see a voltage
as low as the one drawing the load. So if you boosted the regulator voltage
to make servo #1 happy, the others would see a higher voltage.  The end
result is that the voltage would be all over the place on the high side,
which is not desireable.

The other thing you could do is just place a regulator at each servo.  Jim
Oddino could tell you more about it, since he has this setup flying, but
it's a perfectly good method if you don't mind doing the wiring up at the
end of each extension. It has several benefits, some minor drawbacks,
overall it's a cool idea.  Believe it or not, even though you are seeing
this effect of wiring resistance, you are still better off with the one
regulator that you have.  It is taking away the effect of the battery's
internal resistance and all of the wiring in between it and the battery, so
the servos are in fact getting a more constant supply than they otherwise
would.

Ed