[NSRCA-discussion] Budd mount question

Jerry Budd jerry at buddengineering.com
Sun Aug 20 18:18:17 AKDT 2006

Mike,

I'm really sorry this happened, I hope it didn't cause significant
damage to your plane.

Please email me your phone number so I can call you to get the
background history on this particular motor mount (when & where you
got it, etc).  Plus, when would be a good time to call.

Also, I need your address so I can send you a replacement disk ASAP
(based on your earlier emails I'm assuming it's for a YS?).

The early prototype mounts were assembled with a urethane glue
similar to Gorilla Glue (I ran one in my E=MC3 for 1-1/2 years with
no problems).  The problem was it didn't have great peel strength.  I
found another urethane glue that was better in peel and wasn't so
brittle, but what I didn't know was it didn't expand nearly as much
as the Gorilla Glue (hence a number of the mounts had minimal glue as
the glue bead didn't expand as expected - also bad).  A number of
those mounts failed, mostly in the spring of last year.  I finally
contacted the major glue manufacturers with the problem and they all
recommended using the rubberized CA's such as IC2000 from Bob Smith.
I haven't had any significant problems since then.

All of the mounts that I've manufactured since mid-June 2005 have
been with IC2000.  I contacted everyone that I could reach that had
obtained a mount from me prior to then, asking them to either send it
in for update or I'd send them replacement disks, their option.

Unfortunately there were a number of mounts sold through Radio South,
PAC, P&A, and some others where we weren't able to contact everyone.
I'm guessing your's is one of those (but then again, maybe not!).  I
won't be able to tell until I see it.

Again, sorry for the problem.

Jerry

--