[NSRCA-discussion] Wind correction

Dean Pappas d.pappas at kodeos.com
Mon Aug 14 07:04:52 AKDT 2006

Hi John,
I have long struggled to find a good way to explain this, in print.
If, rather than wings level, you talk about "the plane of the plane staying square to the plane of the flightline", it may help. Maybe it won't!
A 3-D picture would be worth a thousand words.

Even from crabbed level flight, or a properly crabbed vertical, any time the elevator is used, the existing crab will turn into unwanted wings-not-square
and the direction of the resulting turn will always be downwind! Adam's suggestion is a good one: go handfly it a zillion times.
Most importantly, flying around holding bootloads of rudder to fly in a crosswind will consume your power and airspeed.
Airspeed (or at least having it available on demand) is your friend in a crosswind and the best way to maintain it is to fly the airplane
uncross-controlled as much as possible. Eventually, you will use very very small aileron inputs for as much possible, and only use the rudder,
as Adam says, for fixing the weathervaning that results from airspeed changes, such as slowing down just before stall turns and spin entries or speeding up as the plane descends. These are almost always judicious downwind rudder corrections.
The aileron inputs will not be corrections, because they will actually have to happen as the looping action begins. After the fact is too late, and then all you have left is rudder, or dropping a wing panel. Of course, dropping a wing panel at 1G does very little compared to when you are puilling G's.

Hopefully, we will approach this problem from several different angles and ways of explanatioin, and you will triangulate it before long!
Then the other aspect of the art that Adam mentioned will start to kick in.

Dean Pappas
Sr. Design Engineer
Kodeos Communications
111 Corporate Blvd.