[NSRCA-discussion] Hacker A60 back support pic

Jerry Budd jerry at buddengineering.com
Sun Aug 13 19:33:31 AKDT 2006

Hi Fred,

Twisting of the front end of the airplane isn't the problem, letting
the motor/propeller combination deflect angularly out of the axis of
rotation is.  My research so far suggests that the key to preventing
whirl flutter is to add enough stiffness to the structure supporting
the motor/propeller system so that an "external disturbance" won't
result in an unstable buildup of bending forces about the rotary
axis.  The most efficient way to do that for a front mounted system
is to support the aft end of the motor shaft so that it can not move
an appreciable amount.  It doesn't have to be totally immobile, just
stationary enough that the angular deflection of the motor axis
doesn't diverge.

Adding strength/stiffness to the forward section of the fuselage is
generally a good idea until you reach a weight constraint.  However,
adding stiffness to the front of the fuselage won't eliminate the
problem of whirl flutter if the motor/propeller system isn't properly
supported.  It just moves the failure point of the fuselage structure
to another location.

Thx, Jerry

--
Jerry Budd