[NSRCA-discussion] Inadvertent Start - shorting plugs....

brett terry brett.terry at gmail.com
Thu Aug 10 08:56:05 AKDT 2006

If the battery is plugged in, I treat the plane as if the engine is
running.  Most of my electrics are small parkflyer types but even 120 watts
into an APC prop can cause serious damage.  The bigger ones are
exponentially more dangerous.  2000+ watts into a 22" prop might remove your
entire hand, and the electric motor won't stop when it contacts an object
the way a smaller glow engine would.

Perhaps we would be wise to guarantee easy access to battery connectors, so
the plane could be unplugged and "absolutely disarmed" before moving it?
Also, never I leave the battery plugged in unless I am actively flying.

The other day I witnessed somebody starting a DA 150-powered 40% Extra by
standing with his left leg blocking the left wing at the wing root, right
leg outboard and forward but aft of the prop arc, and spinning the 32"
carbon prop with his right hand.    No helper, no restraint, and nothing
would prevent the plane from pivoting around his leg which would bring the
tip of the prop within striking distance of sensitive areas.  I couldn't
even imagine the damage if for some reason his throttle servo was reversed,
etc.  Needless to say he was "exposed and vulnerable".

Immediately after this he taxied out onto the runway as I was turning on a
short final approach (left-hand carrier approach).  I had to abort my
landing approach, go around, wait for him take off and land again.  I was so
flustered by the whole thing I executed a perfect landing 10 feet into the
weeds and broke my prop.  I guess my "little" 32% plane was as
inconsequential as the .40-size planes he also ignores.  He is an extremely
nice, shirt-off-the-back type of guy, and a very good pilot (competes in
Advanced in IMAC) but he can afford to (and does) lose several large
airplanes a year due to component failure, pilot error, etc.

I don't like to become exposed to risk by another person's ignorance.

We can't be careful enough!  Minimization of risk is a constant pursuit.

Brett