[NSRCA-discussion] Inadvertent Start - shorting plugs....

White, Chris chris at ssd.fsi.com
Wed Aug 9 05:30:43 AKDT 2006

Oh, the good ole days.....

Back when I was about 12  (1971) my dad traded our Honda 90 for an EK
Logictrol (Log 2)....it had humongous servos, plugs and a shorting plug
for a switch.

Memories.....

We learned to fly on the old Styrofoam Canyon Schwiezer 1-26 sailplane
on Hi-Start ($29 from Tower I think).   First flights yielded 1 traffic
pattern from a 300 ft launch....I remember something like 30-40 second
flights...(IT WAS VERY HEAVY)  Then I'm back chasing the hi-start
parachute. (Yep, I earned my flight time!!!!)   Dad then extended the
round trailing edges that came out of the mold by using balsa trailing
edge material and we picked up a few more seconds per flight....then
sandpaper and elmer's white glue to smooth the wing surface....a few
more seconds.  I think we finally got it to about 1:50 avg flight per
tow.  In contrast a couple of years later we bought one of the new EK
Champions with the little bitty servos....built a Windfree and got at
the very minimum 5 minute flights from the hi-start in dead air.

Why does it seem that RC was just as much fun then as it is now.....(I
would never have dreamed of having more than one setup back then:-))

Chris White