[NSRCA-discussion] OTOPS

GSailwhale at aol.com GSailwhale at aol.com
Wed Aug 9 13:06:32 AKDT 2006

I flew an OTOP all last year and I'll try to give you a brief synopsis on
what I thought. My airplane was constructed pretty darn well and the finish in
my opinion was excellent. I'm basing this on the fact it was only 800.00. It
already had the crutch installed for the rear of the fuselage. I have snapped
it  many, many times and not had a problem. The airplane went together very
quickly  and there were no real problems to speak of. It would of been nice to
have the  stab and wing adjustable. Everyone knows how us pattern folk like to
tinker. I  flew it with a YS-160 on a hyde mount using the ES pipe. Tank was
located in the  canopy. To say this thing had tons of power would be an
understatement. It would  do nicely with a 140 sport. The aiplane flew pretty well
and I was somewhat  surprised at how little tweeking it needed on the initial
flights. Pulled  slightly on knife edge, downlines were good, snapped and spun
well. Now for the  downside: the airplane presented fast and you just can't
slow it down the way  you can with the widebodies. It would probably make for a
good electric set up.  It's a great setup for the lower patterns and a very
easy way of getting into  the air. I believe it's the best value for 800.00 out
there. Hope this helps a  little bit
Greg Grigsby