[NSRCA-discussion] OS 140 EFI

Dave Lockhart davel322 at comcast.net
Tue Aug 1 21:14:17 AKDT 2006

Ryan and all,

Yep, I have 2 140EFIs w/ NIB injectors sitting (and available cheap since
they've been sitting so long)  since I switched to the Webra 160s.

I ran the EFIs for 3 years, about 2,000 flights (several rebuilds).  A good
running well setup EFI is close to perfect for pattern use.  They are not as
versatile as the 140RX as the RX can be happily setup to run as low as 7400
and as high as 8800, while the EFI really only performs well at 8000 +/- 300
RPM.  I'm quite certain this has to do with the calibration range of the
"fuzzy" logic that the electronic fuel injection unit uses.  I switched to
the Webra for more midrange torque, and to get away from the injector
problems.

The injectors - my experience is that they actually will tolerate a soft
mount, so long as the soft mount only moves in rotation - any movement in
the mount that allows lateral displacement in the crankshaft will rapidly
(5-20 flights) destroy the injector.  And all injectors were not created
equal - some would crap out in 10-30 flights, and the ones that didn't
lasted 300-500 flights.  Yes, I went through a few injectors - and I never
paid for a single replacement - I bought my engines from Central, and
OS/GP/Hobbico replaced injectors no charge (albeit the turnaround time
ranged from 2 weeks to 3 months).  Supposedly, the last batch of injectors
were improved and much more durable - I can't confirm that as I haven't run
them.

The other "nuisance" with the EFI was the wiring for the injector and temp
and RPM sensors - they are susceptible to fatigue if not properly
routed/supported.  Not really a big deal.  FWIW - when I had a temp sensor
go bad, I knew it because the LCD display said "OR" (over-range) for the
temp reading - engine didn't run any differently.  RPM and fuel mixture
across the range didn't change, economy, idle, peak power didn't change,
hot/cold starting didn't change.  So on the other engine, I unscrewed the
temp sensor from the head (and left in plugged into the electronic control
unit) and it ran fine, and I unplugged the temp sensor from the unit, and it
ran fine, and when I plugged in back in, it ran fine.  I actually flew at
the NATs one year without the temp sensor as it had died and I couldn't get
a replacement in time.  The temp sensor was very useful tho for seeing
differences in needle settings and changes in cowl baffling.

Regards,

Dave

  _____