[NSRCA-discussion] Brio 10 flight results

Ed Alt ed_alt at hotmail.com
Sat Apr 29 18:17:50 AKDT 2006

Finally flew the Brio 10 today, got three flights.  It was a little breezy,
10 to 15 at most.  Setup is the E-flite Park 480 1010Kv outrunner and the
E-flite 40A ESC and TP 2100's.  Temps were in the 60's today.  I know, the
motor doesn't care much about the air temp, but the prop does.  The vertical
is just adequate.  As for the "best recommended setup", i.e. use a TP 1320
instead of the 2100 I used, don't make me laugh. Has to be a misprint.  Not
a chance you're going to see it get out of it's own way.  Anyway, with an
APC 11-7E, it would pull almost 29A and a tad over 300W.  Tried an APC 12-6E
and pulled a pct or two more watts, had maybe a little better vertical.  You
can get through Masters with either, I'm sure.  I didn't, because I lost
interest in doing so. I did a little 3D goofing around.  It's OK for the
little I did so far.  I will have to play with it more and get comfortable
with it to see what I can really get out of it.

Honestly guys, I don't see what all the fuss is about.  Maybe I got a bad
one, maybe I need to get the CG forward and do a better job in taking the
warps out of the surfaces, but it doesn't groove all that well yet.  The CG
is right on 4", so I will move it forward some.  At least it doesn't seem to
fly heavy on the wing and can handle the added weight in that regard, though
it's apparent that what vertical performance it does have is just going to
suffer to get it to groove. It's a decent enough flyer, but it's just not
something I'm really excited about yet. Some tips - unless you have a very
nicely manicured grass runway or asphalt, don't waste your time with those
little wheels and wheel pants.  Get something that will actually roll and
also, don't use those little bolts for LG axles.  I mean, I KNEW they
wouldn't laste long, but I wanted to give the supplied parts a shot.  Had to
hand launch all day and ended up bending an axle from the sudden stopping
each time it set down, due to the tiny wheels.  I wouldn't recommend the
E-flite Park 480 at all, go for something stronger.  Frankly, I'm annoyed at
the recommendations in the manual.  I spend a bunch of money on this little
thing and I'm not getting all that much in performance.  Your mileage may
vary I guess.

Ed