[NSRCA-discussion] OS140rx problems - help needed.

colin chariandy cchariandy at yahoo.ca
Fri Apr 28 20:12:39 AKDT 2006

Hello

  I started having problems with my 200-300flight old rx last season after I lost my muffler ( Bolly 460) in flight. I decided to upgrade from a muffler to an Aeroslave pipe. The motor ran poorly on the pipe and I blamed the set-up. Poor midrange required that I back out the pump 3/4 and set the top end a bit lean for reliable operation in the air. The setting would change from one flight to the next. On the ground the engine would load up and eventually quit 1/2 the time. I have now gone back to a muffler ( Bolly 590) and the engines runs exactly the same as on the pipe...very poor mid-range, erratic operation.

  Previous bearing replacement was the stock item put in 50 flights before the problems started.

  I'm going to guess I need to replace the main bearing. What should I buy and where? What else should I check/replace ? When should ring/sleeve be replaced? Does anything else go wrong with these engines...pump problems ?

  All inputs are welcome.
  Colin.