[NSRCA-discussion] off topic: electric parkflier does not allow tofly at the park !

rcmaster199 at aol.com rcmaster199 at aol.com
Tue Apr 25 07:11:59 AKDT 2006

I recently received a note from AMA regarding the paraphrased issue Wayne brings up below: insuring the Park Flier Pilots. They proposed a fee of about half what it costs the typical Open Member.

In my view, I saw no study done by the AMA looking at rates of occurences of these model types, per capita, or the degree of damage of those occurences to property owners. I saw therefore, no basis for AMA's suggested charge for bringing this faction of Aeromodeling into the whole of AMA. 30 dollars seems inappropriate considering the damage potential especially when one considers the new battery technology. But a larger amount seems difficult to swallow for models that cost only a couple hundred bucks in general.

Having said that, I agree that the AMA must do something to help protect these pilots (many of whom may be inexperienced and are potentially quite dangerous to themselves and others). Considering how the manufacturers have embraced (they, afterall created it) this extremely fast growing part of the Hobby, they need to help AMA by bringing the AMA message to those that have no knowledge of the possible dangers and potential insurance required. Some are doing some minor things (Horizon is one example) but more must be done.

I am concerned that unless this is properly managed right now at this early stage of this unprecedented growth, we may all suffer in the end. This is going to be tricky, moving forward.

MattK