[NSRCA-discussion] Fw: [NVRC-List] Venus 2 with OS 120Ax

Randy hatfield randy10926 at comtekmail.com
Sat Apr 22 15:25:19 AKDT 2006

----- Original Message -----
From: Randy hatfield
To: NVRC-List at yahoogroups.com ; discussion at nsrca.org ; dszczur at verizon.net
Sent: Saturday, April 22, 2006 7:12 PM
Subject: [NVRC-List] Venus 2 with OS 120Ax

Well I got 4 flights on the Venus 2 in-between the squalls this afternoon.  That makes for 3 days of flying and the basic trimming and engine break in is complete.

This model is at 8 1/4 pounds with fut 9202 servos and 1500 NiCad pack.  It should be not too hard to get it down to 8 pounds.  This engine is more than enough at this weight.  It is swinging a 15X11 APC with great gusto.  I had 30 MPH winds for one flight today and had no problem.  One of the local IMAC guys called it overpowered; but I aint sure what that means.  I am getting lots of practice moving the left stick forward and back.

If you have someone looking to try pattern; go ahead and suggest this model.  With a OS91FX or Saito 100/125 this would be a nice starter plane.  It is a very simple plane.  Really no harder to build than a typical 40/60 sized ARF with two wing servos.  The provided 16oz fuel tanks is probably too large.  I can fly intermediate twice and have about 4 oz left.  I am thinking of going for a 10 or 12 oz tank.  With a YS110 or OS120AX it will fly anything in the pattern book.

As for the OS120AX, I really like this engine.  It will handle a APC 16X10 and the engine is easy to adjust.  The book does call for a five flight break-in period, which seemed about right.  I started leaning on the sixth flight and it started singing.  I am thinking of designing a Model around this engine.  It should handle anything up to around 9 pounds on the stock muffler.  Maybe the Insight if I can keep it light enough, or the CA epilison 120.

Randy

      Rc airplanes  Rc airplane battery  Rc model airplanes