[NSRCA-discussion] The Pilot

Ted Sander tedsander at comcast.net
Wed Apr 5 19:49:46 AKDT 2006

Just had to add to the chatter - yes, the best get sponsorship.  But don't
forget, the main obligation of that sponsorship is to represent the product
- "sell" it, as it were.  Maybe not directly pitching it, but making sure
the name is always out there, and at least passively influencing everyone
else to buy it.  The criteria for choosing who gets the highest levels of
stuff may be arcane and hard to judge based on performance or personality,
but I guarantee that the perceived ability of the pilot to appropriately
market the items is a big factor in the decision makers eyes.  And that
includes making it to as many "big" event possible, continuing to win,
perhaps appearances at trade shows, ads, and any other vehicle that the
pilot and the company can come together on to put the product out in the
public eye.  No harm in any of that, if the pilot does like the product, but
whatever they receive at a discount or for free gets paid for many times
over through their time and efforts to do right by their sponsor.  They have
to work pretty hard to earn the benefit, and work even harder to keep it.

Ted Sander