[NSRCA-discussion] The Pilot

Randall Bearden rbearden56 at earthlink.net
Wed Apr 5 15:49:29 AKDT 2006

On 4/5/06 6:30 AM, "Ken Thompson" <mrandmrst at comcast.net> wrote:

> I've read most of the replies in this discussion thread.  I'm sure my take on
> this subject has been stated before, but I'm going to give it any way.
>
> These pilots are not winning because they are sponsored, they are sponsored
> because they are winning.  I don't see that fact as a detriment to the pilot
> that pays his own way, nor do I see this as a reason to add expense to local
> contests by giving out additional plaques.
>
> I, for one, will never be good enough to get a sponsorship, I know that fact,
> and am ok with it.  I will go out and do my best, practice when I can, and
> have a ball!
>
> If I can't afford the best of the best, it's ok, I'll fly what I can afford.
> I happen to have a very good plane this year, however, it's only because Mark
> gave me a great deal on his El Nino that I have a great plane.  If it was
> necessary, I would still be flying my LA-2, and I would be ok with that,
> because I would still be having fun.
>
> The only way that I see a sponsorship as a HUGE advantage is if it entailed
> fuel.  That would be nice, but again, if I couldn't afford YS 20/20 or DZ, I
> would be running a ST-2300, cheap fuel and a lot of power for the money.
>
> Some things I will be doing this year are as follows,
>
> 1.  Practicing as much as I can.
> 2.  Learning every chance I get.
> 3.  Having fun.
>
> Something I will not be doing this year,
>
> 1.  Worrying about the fact that I'm not sponsered.
>
> Ken Thompson
> D4

You know the old saying, ³dance with the one you came with².  More
importantly DANCE!  And if I am sponsored or not I will always enjoy the
dance.  Winning is great but when winning is no longer fun or you lose sight
of the joy of competition,  then you need to look in the mirror and ask some
hard questions about yourself.

Some people put a lot into the sport, money, time, and lots of fuel.  They
have an investment and when they trophy that is their dividend.  If the
people who compete and don¹t invest themselves then they have no right to
complain when they don¹t win. Winners chase success, success doesn¹t chase
people.

By the way--- does anyone know the incidence setting for the wings and stab
on the CA Eclipse, CA didn¹t include it in their instructions.

Keep Dancing!
Randy Bearden