[NSRCA-discussion] The Pilot

Bob Richards bob at toprudder.com
Mon Apr 3 12:56:15 AKDT 2006

Jim,

  Oh, I know IMAC can be much more expensive than pattern!!!  However, in pattern I would have to fly in the Masters class, but in IMAC I can start out in Sportsman (or even Basic) with a 1.20 powered Cap 21 that I already have. My son can fly the same plane if he wants. It may not be that competitive, but so what, we are just testing the water right now.

  I had already decided to try IMAC this year, and have a 27% Extra 260 ARF and Evolution 45GX that I got for Christmas. You talk about your engine running on one cylinder, that is all I've got!! :-)  I also only need one servo per control surface. I hope this combination will do well for me in the lower classes.

  If my son had expressed more interest in pattern than in IMAC, then maybe I would have stuck to the pattern route. I just don't want to finance both avenues of competition right now, especially since I may have to finance equipment for two pilots.

  Bob R.

Jim Woodward <jim.woodward at schroth.com> wrote:
        v\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);}  o\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);}  w\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);}  .shape {behavior:url(#default#VML);}        st1\:*{behavior:url(#default#ieooui) }                Bob,
  Thanks for sharing your story.  The other angle on it this and I’ll use myself as an example:  Any discount I’ve received bar none, has been GREATLY spent back into the sport by attending high number of contests, all the travel gas money associated with it, and a nearly uncountable # of “extra” miles I’ve driven to remote flying sites just to get some practice in  - many times having to just turn around and go home because of bad weather or whatever. The equipment is a one time purchase (discounted or full price), where as the total cumulative effort to practice and attend contests is repetitive and in my case far out weighs anything else.

  However, given that I’m sort of studying the differences between IMAC and Pattern this year from a perspective of practicing, contests, & equipment, the main point of my email response is that your note below ABSOLUTELY applies in IMAC.  Competitive IMAC flying could cost you 3 to 4 times more than any pattern investment (including electric power).  This weekend turned out to be very expensive for me:  1.  The 3W that was running on one cylinder so much has literally destroyed the canisters.  I’m thinking to go with the standard mufflers at $150/pair, instead of moving to the steel MTW canister/headers at roughly $450/pair.  2.  Had to purchase a well used backup 3W 150 TOC with old ignition style and old carburetor ($1000).  3.  Once I had a good running engine making some balls-out power, determined that I need to add one more aileron servo per wing.  4.  Decided to “ensure” all the servos were getting their proper voltage and upgraded the power system to the Smart-Fly
 Power Expander and Turbo Regulator.  My little lion-chargers were not up to snuff and needed to get a Fromcoe 3 port charger so the entire plane can charge at 2 amps at one time.  As for number of flights, I am right about 50 total flights – low flying time and huge extra costs driven by the poor running 3W with new style ignition and destructive vibration.

  If you ever want to appreciate what pattern has, and what in my opinion the current rules have ultimately had on cost, go and out fit an unlimited style setup for IMAC.  Then, go to the contests and break something.  Sure, some people have walked into it without problems, while other have trailers with:  Extra motors, extra motor parts, extra exhaust systems, extra ignitions, extra Power Boxes, Spare Plane or two, spare servos/receivers.  Thus, getting back your statements below, I see them as incredibly accurate (honestly), of what can happen in scale aerobatics, and not so applicable on the pattern seen (given the difference in scale of economy –no pun intended). I would almost go so far as to draw the line and say you cannot be competitive without sponsorships in IMAC, where as with pattern, you can get into it with an OS 140, Dave L 3 blade, ARF, and it will typically out-fly your abilities.

  Thanks,
  Jim W.