[NSRCA-discussion] The Pilot

Gray E Fowler gfowler at Raytheon.com
Mon Apr 3 11:27:19 AKDT 2006

Jim

I have an solution for you and all those IMAC expenses you have incurred.
It appears to me that if you made the switch to electric IMAC then you
could save alot of money( mufflers, extra servos and dat other stuff).
This is the same color of money your wife saves you when she buys that
pair of much needed shoes "ON SALE" -you know...the ones to die
for..........Due to all the costs you have encountered I will not charge
you for this advice, I am just a nice guy.

Bob,
Thanks for sharing your story.  The other angle on it this and I’ll use
myself as an example:  Any discount I’ve received bar none, has been
GREATLY spent back into the sport by attending high number of contests,
all the travel gas money associated with it, and a nearly uncountable # of
“extra” miles I’ve driven to remote flying sites just to get some practice
in  - many times having to just turn around and go home because of bad
weather or whatever. The equipment is a one time purchase (discounted or
full price), where as the total cumulative effort to practice and attend
contests is repetitive and in my case far out weighs anything else.

However, given that I’m sort of studying the differences between IMAC and
Pattern this year from a perspective of practicing, contests, & equipment,
the main point of my email response is that your note below ABSOLUTELY
applies in IMAC.  Competitive IMAC flying could cost you 3 to 4 times more
than any pattern investment (including electric power).  This weekend
turned out to be very expensive for me:  1.  The 3W that was running on
one cylinder so much has literally destroyed the canisters.  I’m thinking
to go with the standard mufflers at $150/pair, instead of moving to the
steel MTW canister/headers at roughly $450/pair.  2.  Had to purchase a
well used backup 3W 150 TOC with old ignition style and old carburetor
($1000).  3.  Once I had a good running engine making some balls-out
power, determined that I need to add one more aileron servo per wing.  4.
Decided to “ensure” all the servos were getting their proper voltage and
upgraded the power system to the Smart-Fly Power Expander and Turbo
Regulator.  My little lion-chargers were not up to snuff and needed to get
a Fromcoe 3 port charger so the entire plane can charge at 2 amps at one
time.  As for number of flights, I am right about 50 total flights – low
flying time and huge extra costs driven by the poor running 3W with new
style ignition and destructive vibration.

If you ever want to appreciate what pattern has, and what in my opinion
the current rules have ultimately had on cost, go and out fit an unlimited
style setup for IMAC.  Then, go to the contests and break something. Sure,
some people have walked into it without problems, while other have
trailers with:  Extra motors, extra motor parts, extra exhaust systems,
extra ignitions, extra Power Boxes, Spare Plane or two, spare
servos/receivers.  Thus, getting back your statements below, I see them as
incredibly accurate (honestly), of what can happen in scale aerobatics,
and not so applicable on the pattern seen (given the difference in scale
of economy –no pun intended). I would almost go so far as to draw the line
and say you cannot be competitive without sponsorships in IMAC, where as
with pattern, you can get into it with an OS 140, Dave L 3 blade, ARF, and
it will typically out-fly your abilities.

Thanks,
Jim W.

Gray Fowler
Principal Chemical Engineer