INCIDENCE settings

John Ferrell johnferrell at earthlink.net
Fri Sep 30 17:35:05 AKDT 2005

The short, non technical answer:
Incidence is generally considered to be the difference in angle of attack
between the stab and the wing.

Assume long tailed pattern plane...
I get there by:
Block the tail up to the desired flight angle.
Set the stab to exactly level.
Adjust the wing to 0.25 degrees up relative to the stab.
If test flight trims with other than zero elevator trim, tweak wing
incidence as required.

The CG will have an effect on this setting, but not as much as you think.

There are people who use 0-0 incidence or even lifting stabs. I will let
them defend their positions. As far as I am concerned, the function of the
elevator is to maintain the angle of attack of the wing.
John Ferrell
http://DixieNC.US