INCIDENCE settings

Troy A. Newman troy_newman at msn.com
Fri Sep 30 15:24:39 AKDT 2005

Pat,

to give an answer that you don't want to hear...

We have no idea. The model design will determine it. All the factors
mentioned from RVP are correct. Also the fuse shape. If the shape is such as
the model looks like its flying tail down then it needs more positive in the
wing. Also trim considerations, however I don't try to trim knife edge using
the wings. I'll leave that to the experts here on the list. I set the
incidence in the wing to make the fuse sit properly in the air.

A rule of thumb I use is I will set the fuse up with its flying line (datum
line, zero line what ever) at zero deg to mother earth. I use a digital
smart level. I then walk across the room or down the hall. If the model
looks good as in its sitting what my eye perceives as level...I set the
incidence 0.25 to 0.5 deg to that. I usually start at 1/4 deg and know that
I will be cranking more positive in it.

I know you said that adjustable is not in the cards. OK that doesn't mean
you can't adjust it later depending how they did it. If pins in the wings
and sockets in the fuse. You move the sockets. All it takes is a little move
and things change.

The criteria I use when flying will depend on what its doing in the air. If
it still looks tail low while flying level I'll crank in some more positive.
If it looks level and say it is pulling slightly on upline I might crank in
positive to see if the upline gets fixed and it doesn't disturb other things
like power off downlines, or elevator trim. My opinion is a model flies
better with a little positive in the wing. I tend to fly models that are
more nose heavy than other people the result is the positive needs to be
there. And it helps the model track better. I will say this as you move the
CG aft to amore neutral location as in no elevator inverted and so on...The
need for positive incidence gets reduced. Also the need for thrust offsets
gets reduced. But in this config I have yet to get a model to fly in a
straight line. It might do OK when calm but a tail heavy model (more
neutral) will be a bear in the wind. I flew my Father in Laws Focus and the
guys were running the CG up at the front edge of the wing tube. I couldn't
get the model to settle down until it was almost a full inch ahead of the LE
of the tube. Then the model tracked like I thought it should. I spoke with
Don Sczur about his and he had the CG way up forward too.

I believe in providing the model with a Bias so that it tracks on its own.
This is the way I was taught to do it. Pull the corner and let go. The model
should do the work for you.

I would say I usually end up with about 0.25 to 0.5 degs of incidence in all
my models. I could not tell you how much because I don't know where the
flying line really is on some of them. The ZN Supreme I know where it is as
a flying line and I know I started with exactly 0.25deg and I cranked more
positive in it. How much?  Oh about a turn or two until I liked the way it
tracked.

The other great reason for adjusters is to eliminate aileron trim. If you
are carrying aileron trim it will be a speed sensitive thing and this will
not help you at all. You'll have to create a thro to aileron mix to
eliminate it.

Heck guys do it and beat me with that setup.  But it just doesn't work for
me, I get the model to fly straight in roll with zero aileron trim with the
adjusters. Sometimes is a 1/4 turn on a  4-40 bolt and sometimes its more
like a full turn. If the model is flying tail low or is pitching slight to
canopy in the upline I might crank just one wing positive. This acts to zero
out the roll and also increase the positive in the wing as a whole. Then
sometimes I'll throw in a gob of positive on one side and a smidge on the
other to raise the tail and also eliminate aileron trim needs. Adjusters are
a wonderful trim tool.

On big IMAC airplanes we adjust the incidence too. Just sand the socket and
little ovaled and then put a new ply ring on the inside. Works wonders in
some case. Other cases the problem doesn't go away and we fix it with thrust
or the tail or who knows what else.

I have flown a bunch of models in the last few years looking for that
perfect one. If you email me which one I might be able to help you out.

Troy