INCIDENCE settings

Ron Van Putte vanputte at cox.net
Fri Sep 30 12:19:02 AKDT 2005

On Sep 30, 2005, at 11:53 AM, Pat Hewitt wrote:

> I would like to learn more about incidence settings on our wings. I
> have a
> chance to buy a plane that has preset settings such as O, .25, .50, or
> .75 but
> how do I make the correct choice. I am sure the best is to have an
> just able
> system but please lets not go there I just want to understand how you
> pick the
> correct one.

Being an engineer, I will respond to this question as I would to
similar questions.  My answer is, "It depends".  Sorry.

The dependency involves many factors, including the thrust  line angle,
horizontal stabilizer incidence, location of the center of gravity,
longitudinal and vertical distance between the wing and horizontal
stabilizer and the fuselage design.  There are so many different
factors which are interdependent, that it is impossible to give a
direct answer to the question.  The best answer is from those who have
flown a nearly identical configuration.  Empirical answers are usually
best in our hobby.

This discussion also tapped into one of my pet peeves:  Guy sees an
airplane flying around with the tail low and announces, "That airplane
is tail heavy".  Probably wrong.  The incidence relationship between
the wing and the horizontal tail is probably incorrect.  The CG has an
effect, but the condition is usually caused by a bad trim setup.  Now I
feel better.

Ron Van Putte

List members email returned for mailbox full will be removed from the list.