Electrics (kinda long)

Mike Hester kerlock at comcast.net
Wed Sep 28 20:35:10 AKDT 2005

I am convinced, totally. That it's definitely advantageous, quieter, cleaner, and still way too expensive and unreliable for guys like me. You guys have fun with it, I'll join in when the technology catches up to the desire. Maybe.

Now don't get me wrong....I am NOT anti-electric at all. I think it's great that people are willing to spend that kind of money and exert that kind of effort so eventually it will be a reasonable alternative for the rest of us. But as you said earlier, technology is moving fast just like computers, and it's just a question of where/when/ or even if to jump in.

I'm totally convinced that when running correctly, a YS 160DZ is a superior engine (performance-wise) to what I have been running for years, an old OS 140 beater. But I simply don't believe I can get the kind of reliability and service out of the YS that I want and need to be competetive. Hence why after all this time I'm still running the exact same power set up I ran at my very first contest years ago. Because it's reliable and it works, for me. And compared to eitehr a YS OR electrics (especially), it's cheaper. By a long shot. If and when the day ever comes that that small edge of performance becomes more important than 10 cases of burned fuel for me, I may make the move. I am not there yet. And I would hope there are others on the fence that would come to the same conclusion, for now.

Here's my concerns, laid out flatly. I know electrics are the new thang. Everybody sees it coming, and most are going to do whatever it takes to get any (even if not real) competetive egde. We hear constantly about how great electrics are, but rarely do we hear in detail the dark side. I know it's all still in development, I understand that. But my first concern is how many people will spend a huge amount of money and find out they are in a deep hole and have to learn AND spend thier way out. How many may quit out of frustration? A few, not many though. Hopefully by now they know what they are getting into.

Secondly how many are looking at the current state of affairs with electrics booming down the pike and seeing WAY too many dollar signs? And how many will quit in frustration? How many quit when we went to large 2 meters? How many quit when we changed to turnaround? Not the same thing exactly, but if you look closely you may see the underlying culprit is change itself, not the specific change in question. Again how many may we lose? Not many. But a few.

Lastly, and most importantly, I HOPE an electric judging bias doesn't raise it's ugly head. But you know as well as I do, in some (hopefully RARE) instances, it will. Let's face it, right now they are cool. And hey, a cool plane doesn't affect judges does it now???? Sometimes. Once is too often.

Put it all together, and you have the makings of a small, and yet substantial hit to pattern. Temporary I'm sure, and hopefully not too pronounced, but there. POTENTIALLY. No it's not going to kill pattern, the sky is not going to fall, but in the short term I wonder if it might not do more harm than good by pushing this stuff before it's really ready for full tilt pattern use by average guys. Because make no mistake, average guys are going to be some of the first to jump in the fire. looking for that edge and following the leader.

Lucky for us, some people (Jason Schulman comes to mind) have been extremely forthcoming with both the pros AND cons of electrics. A while back I asked on RCU about the bottom line on this stuff, Jason said "it's not for everybody, the technology is moving but still in the early stages, and you really have to want to do it...but it is cool". THAT is a fair assesment I think. Chad from Canada has been pretty informational, both good and bad, as well. I simply can't say that for everybody, and I'm sure a lot of it has to do with the dreaded "S" word.

Now with all of that being said, the day will probably come when I go electric myself. I have the good fortune to be building 2 planes for a friend that are both electrics, and so I get to learn a ton without spending too much of my own money =P Hehe. But you better believe I am researching everything I can find because I want to know everything I can to prevent his transition into electrics from being a bad experience...and it helps me too.

Honestly I just wish I could throw some icewater on this "GOTTA HAVE IT NOW OR WE MIGHT AS WELL NOT BOTHER" attitude that seems to be forming in some circles. I have lost count of how many times new technology was pushed before it was really ready, and the average guys ended up paying dearly due to simple lack of information.

My message in all of this: Slow down and do your homework guys. It's good stuff, but it has a dark side you NEED to be prepared for. That's all really.

And with that I'm off to bed.
-Mike