Electrics(more)

Richard Strickland richard.s at allied-callaway.com
Mon Sep 26 13:56:53 AKDT 2005

Once I got the li-po chargers, deep-discharge batteries and chargers, 3 sets of batteries and a semblance of a routine, I could knock out five flights in a couple hour +/- practice session.  The Hacker set-up worked great.  The 3200 batteries started losing it at about 25 cycles each.  This is what I've gathered for reasonably light--just under 11 lb. wide-bodied airplanes.  They take 60-70 amps at times--more times than I think many will admit.  3200s last about 25 cycles; 4000s about 30-35 cycles;  5300 and 6000s about 50-60 cycles and the 8000s some additional cycles(but probably too heavy).  I think Jason said something about electric is not for everyone and he is probably right---for now.  But once you get in the groove and have a routine, it's very satisfying to just go out and as someone else said--pound out the flights!  The problem IS the batteries and longevity and staying under 11 lbs.  I'm no expert, but I did recommend to the manufacturer I was primarily working with that they DO NOT want to promote the current batteries to pattern junkies that do serious practicing(35-60+ flts/week) unless they are prepared to send out a replacement set about once a week--free--during the season with impeccable service.  They did agree with my assessment along with the linearity of longevity ratio to capacity.  They also said that a few months is a long time in this business and things are evolving quickly--so maybe next year.  We'll see.

I've heard of some guys getting some big numbers out of their packs--but I am curious if they make weight.  I'll bet they get these things to where they aren't so volatile, charge quickly and don't get so hot in the fairly near future.

But I could be wrong.

Richard