Electric F3A

Grow Pattern pattern4u at comcast.net
Thu Sep 22 07:17:49 AKDT 2005

Del,
       It always intrigues me how much people will rationalize once they
have made a decision to go one way or another. I well remember the YS
zealots who would tell you how great their engines were. I also remember how
much they LEFT OUT!

Back then you didn't hear about how many piston, rods, bearings etc. that
they were going through, especially if they were sponsored or
psuedo-sponsored.

When, as a reporter, I asked a lot of questions about electrics I never go
very good answers. I even purchased a bunch of Thunder power batteries and
Hacker motors and speed controllers. When I wrote on this list with even the
slightest hint of criticism of electrics my e-mail inbox would soon start
filling up. I was told I didn't know this and I didn't know that etc. well
guess what there was a lot i didn't know, but also a lot that neither you or
I were not getting told.

I had a very hard push back from Jerry Budd about how wrong I was and how
great the stuff was that he and Tony Frackowiak were running. No doubt about
their successes and I am absolutely not even trying to detract from that at
all. BUT when you poke me that hard my instincts kick in and go digging.

I was told 700 + great flights - So I then ask, at what cost?  Was it 20
packs?  The cost, unless sponsored, is around $700 a pack (2 sticks). How
deep are your pockets folks?

How long did the packs last? Was it months or more like just a few weeks?
When I say how long I really mean how many cycles. Talking to experienced
electric FAI users I get numbers like 40-60 on the 8000mAh packs, but better
on the newer ones. Even at the claimed two flights per charge that's still
pretty expensive!

I also found out that the packs were not aging very well. I could not find
out for sure but I think it was around 3 months before they became
non-competitive..Would they be good after a winter of none flying. Could not
get an answer there at all.

Then I got into how  many motors have been in Tony/Jerry's plane to get that
many flights. How many repairs to motors for whatever reason.
Very hard to get an answer here so I'll will also be vague.  Several gear
boxes and motors/rotors went in and out of that plane. To you and I how much
that represents not only in dollars, but lost flying time while waiting for
repairs, is hard to estimate but you can draw your own conclusions. You
could say that the new electrics are like the old YS's.  No matter what you
say there are definitely a set of "hidden" factors that should be put into
the equation when comparing electric and glow.

I then got into how many packs you need to take to the field for a practice
session or a local contest. That obviously depends upon how many chargers
you have. I used to use three 109's. I saw most using 5 chargers and two,
three or even four, deep cycle batteries. I am assuming was the case unless
there was a 110v supply nearby. Then you need to consider maintaining the 12
v batteries as well. i needed six packs fro one session. If there was not
time between a round to charge you needed a fresh pack. Never asked what
fresh meant. Maybe I should have?

I know that several controllers impersonated in-flight smoke systems. That
one I knew about and is to be expected when you put a lot of DC electricity
though things, sooner or later, right!

I don't think that I was lied to, but I do think that when people are
sponsored or just enamored with the latest purchase that they leave out the
sort of stuff that we all really need to know. As and aside, I have seen a
lot more honest reports on electric performance now that the world
championships are over.

I know that I will get some heat for what I report on this list, but if I
help a pattern pilot make a better decision it will make the asbestos
underwear feel more comfortable.
I am still concerned that regular pattern pilots will spend a lot of money,
get trapped on the treadmill of "latest" power-pack/motor, and then be very
disappointed in the longevity of their equipment.

Regards,

Eric.