Two needle carb for OS140

AtwoodDon at aol.com AtwoodDon at aol.com
Sat Sep 17 05:22:11 AKDT 2005

Colin, there are 2 mixture control carbs avail today (that I know  of).
First, the OS 70B is the mixture ctl carb made for the OS140.   It is very hard to
locate since OS stopped production of them shortly after they  began selling
their EFI versions of the 140 (and 160).  Sometimes you can  find one on RC
Universe and you could also try Cyber Heli in Hong Kong.  I  hear some have been
able to get one there.

The second alternative is to retro fit the Webra mixture ctl carb (standard
on the Webra 160) and I believe you can get them thru Central Hobbies.  You
need to have someone turn the neck of the carb down to fit into the OS but
that is a very simple/quick thing to have done or do if you have access to a
metal lathe.  I suppose it could be done with a drill press and file if you  are
patient enough but is only about 5 minutes work on a metal lathe. And I bet
that would void the 'warranty' too   ;-))))

Several of us have been successful in using the Webra carb on the OS tho I
will say it is more sensitive to setup than the OS.  I think the reason for
this is the OS pump puts out a little more pressure than the Webra pump and that
 creates the sensitivity using the Webra carb.  Don't get me wrong, the
Webra carb will work on the OS, it is just more sensitive.  I have also  heard
(not done).

I have also heard there have been some minor issues with the small o-ring  in
the mixture ctl barrel binding with the Webra carb and that has been fixed
with going to a different o-ring or machining the slot for the o-ring slightly
deeper to alleviate the binding.  Others on the this group may have direct
experience with that.

When adjusted properly, the mixture ctl carb setup is great, very smooth,
linear response with no mid range gurgle and the transition to idle is quicker
and settles into a low idle very nicely with little delay.

Don Atwood

 In a message dated 9/16/2005 7:45:39 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,