gallon jugs

David Flynt dflynt at verizon.net
Fri Sep 16 18:40:36 AKDT 2005

If you live in Southern California, I have hundreds that I can sell you.
Otherwise, search for industrial plastic suppliers.  The best price on 1
gallon HDPE jugs for a pallet is about $0.70 each, more expensive if you
purchase less than a pallet.  A pickup truck can transport a pallet (96
cases), but you may want to have on hand bulk plastic wrap to split the
pallet.

I purchased jugs in Los Angeles from http://www.bottlesetc.com/index.html.
You may also want to purchase Cap Plugs from www.caplugs.com (I have the
part number if you need it).  You need a bung wrench and a good drum pump.
Don't get an electrical pump, just a lever hand pump (safety).  An
alternative is to get a tap to decant the drum when it is on its side.
Don't get a siphon type pump.  You will not have the control you need.
McMaster-car has drum accessories.  You will want to decant the entire drum
into the gallon jugs.  You do not want to decant over a long period of time
because the head space will expose the fuel to a lot of moisture in the air.
I like to fill each jug up to almost the top, leaving no head space.  The
methanol draws in moisture from the air, so you want to expose it to air as
little as possible.  The cap plus provide a much better air-tight seal than
the plastic screw caps.

However, I would advise against doing any of this because the cost savings
does not justify the trouble of 1) transporting and storing jugs, 2) filling
jugs, 3) receiving drums, 4) recycling 54 drums.  If you think you can get
around all of this, then try it.  It is not that difficult.  I successfully
mixed my own fuel in vast quantity.  I still have a bunch, and it works
great.  But it is a lot of labor, and overall the effort is not worth the
savings.

On that note, if anybody is interested in a really nice pneumatic
bung-entering-drum-mixer, I have a dandy that I would like to sell.  It
mixes 54 gallons of fuel in a drum like a milkshake in a blender.

David