Mail List Changes

Keith Black tkeithb at comcast.net
Mon Sep 12 20:13:06 AKDT 2005

I agree with Dave.

The guys that send the off-topic banter aren't doing it by accident, they're
doing it knowing fully well everyone on the list is seeing it. Let's face
it, the majority of the chit chat is from a relatively small number of very
active members. The less talkative members' chit chat doesn't present a
problem.

The active members aren't naive to the way the list works, on the other
hand, if replies only go back to the sender then the less active, and
therefore less aware of how things work, members may never get their posts
out to the list, as Dave has pointed out.

Perhaps a better way to handle this is for the list administrator to
periodically drop a private friendly reminder to those seen sending
off-topic emails. In addition occasional reminders to the list about
off-topic emails and renaming subject lines will help keep everyone inline.
In the past these suggestions have helped quite a bit, until everyone starts
slipping back into their old habits. But then again, that's what an
administrator's for!

Keith Black

PS. I almost messed-up and sent this just to Dave :-)