Important Event Report!!!

T&C Brown tncbrown at cebridge.net
Wed Sep 7 20:14:36 AKDT 2005

Well said Robert!!

Not to ask the obvious, but how were these props pre-flighted and installed??

Were they installed too tight, or perhaps too loose?  Are the hubs being crushed during installation?

Next thing is how tight is too tight??  Is there a magic number of inch / foot pounds for torquing a prop?  I don't know.  But I do know that after installing a new prop, I go back and check for tightness after the first run.  I believe the heat from an engine is hot enough to soften the hub and cause the nut to loosen, therefore increasing a chance for un-due vibration.

Are the spinner slots, aluminum ones in particular, coming in contact with the prop?  If so, that's a big no-no!

Or perhaps is the  diameter of the prop hub too large for the shaft and causing the prop not to be centered and therefore "walking" around on the hub?  Does your engine have a metric diameter shaft??  Are you using a metric prop reamer??
And most importantly, are these props (three blades in particular) properly balanced before use.  I don't know right off hand the proper procedures to balance 3-blades because I don't use them, but I know someone out there does.  Please enlighten us.

I can't count the number of times I've seen individuals take a new prop out of the package and place it directly onto the plane.  I see this most at contests were a balancer is usually not handy and or available.  Do we go back and re-check props for balance from time to time?

I think before we start pointing fingers at different props and brands we need to look at the above things and then ask ourselves if were watching out for these "Gotchas".

I am by no means some prop expert.....I barely know what end of the plane the prop goes on.....
This is just my two cents on the situation.

T-Bone