Important Event Report!!!

Keith Black tkeithb at comcast.net
Wed Sep 7 20:11:36 AKDT 2005

Robert, I can't speak to the three blade issue, but the safety point you make is VERY important.

When I got back in this hobby about four years ago I threw a prop on my trainer and it almost hit me in the face. After that I became very diligent about staying behind the prop. Three years later I had become lackadaisical and was cranking my engine at a 2004 NATS warm-up when the engine kicked and the prop came spinning at full speed right at my face. Again I was lucky as the top blade hit my hat and then bounced off of my sunglasses. This stopped the bottom blade from continuing its revolution and hitting me in the chin or throat. The impact on my glasses was so hard that I had to check to see if I was bleeding. Needless to say this scared the bejeepers out of me! Since that time I do my best to stay out of the plane of the prop, but I sometimes find myself creeping back up there.

What's scary is that I regularly see guys cranking and running up these big engines with their face directly in the plane of the prop. It scares me when I see this, but people normally don't take it seriously when this is pointed out, especially guys that have been doing this for a long time with no incidents.

I'm glad this topic has come up and very glad no one was hurt in this most recent incident.

Keith Black