Hard Mount???

Mike Wickizer MWickizer at PyramidWaterproofing.com
Tue Sep 6 12:53:46 AKDT 2005

Mark:

After the NATs we mounted a 160DZ on the Hyde mount not requiring a nose
ring.  Same mount we had been using for a 140Sport.  Plane is a Focus II.
No apparent problems yet.  I don't think I would try the same thing on a
composite plane but maybe given more experience with the current setup and
others experience I would do it.

Mike

-----Original Message-----
From: discussion-request at nsrca.org [mailto:discussion-request at nsrca.org]On
Behalf Of Atwood, Mark
Sent: Tuesday, September 06, 2005 3:16 PM
To: discussion at nsrca.org
Subject: Hard Mount???

Question for all you vibration guru's out there.  I'm tired of soft mounts.
Seriously.

Has anyone RECENTLY, tried using a reasonably firm, or hard mount on a
pattern plane with a YS???   I know I know...my servo's will take a beating,
blah blah blah.  And I'm sure it's true to some extent.  But I have several
sport planes with YS 1.20's hard mounted, they run like tops, idle at 1300,
...they literally purrr...  And I've been flying them for YEARS...and I mean
8 or 9, with no issues on servos, airframe, etc.

I'm just wondering if we've over played the soft game and shredded a zillion
headers in the process.    Now I know my sport planes are all wood and
therefore handle the vibration better...  But wouldn't the newer Nomex
construction planes handle it fairly well too?

Would the current firewalls hold up??

Is there a happy medium?

I'm considering mounting a 1.60DZ on a Brio with simple rubber washers for
isolation ala a gator style mount.  It's virtually a hard mount with minor
"give".

Thoughts???  Opinions??  I'm all ears...

-Mark