Hard Mount???

brian young brian_w_young at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 6 12:29:52 AKDT 2005

Theres one way to find out really...the same way we find out if a plane is built strong enough.

You could try a really stiff hyde mount for starters. Ive made some for myself, you can do extra rubber for a very stiff mount. Personally im using the NMP cooling header, ES pipe and NB Engineering soft mount w/ no problems so far.

"Atwood, Mark" <atwoodm at paragon-inc.com> wrote:

Question for all you vibration guru’s out there.  I’m tired of soft mounts.  Seriously.

Has anyone RECENTLY, tried using a reasonably firm, or hard mount on a pattern plane with a YS???   I know I know
my servo’s will take a beating, blah blah blah.  And I’m sure it’s true to some extent.  But I have several sport planes with YS 1.20’s hard mounted, they run like tops, idle at 1300,
they literally purrr
  And I’ve been flying them for YEARS
and I mean 8 or 9, with no issues on servos, airframe, etc.

I’m just wondering if we’ve over played the soft game and shredded a zillion headers in the process.    Now I know my sport planes are all wood and therefore handle the vibration better
  But wouldn’t the newer Nomex construction planes handle it fairly well too?

Would the current firewalls hold up??

Is there a happy medium?

I’m considering mounting a 1.60DZ on a Brio with simple rubber washers for isolation ala a gator style mount.  It’s virtually a hard mount with minor “give”.

Thoughts???  Opinions??  I’m all ears

-Mark