160 DZ noise

Troy A. Newman troy_newman at msn.com
Tue Oct 4 10:22:53 AKDT 2005

Tom,

What I do is limit servo travel to a certain RPM. If you are turning a 16.5"
prop over about 8300 it will be too loud. The 17" props the limit is about
8000-8100.

So what I do is get to the contest location, and start the motor up with a
tach in hand. I then dial the motor back to the needed RPM. I try to fly on
this RPM all the time. The result is I always have about the same power
regardless of elevation or air density. This doesn't always work perfectly
but it will make the noise limit and has plenty of power for performance at
the top.

This is not a cheater switch or dual rate on the throttle. It is just a
throttle barrel that is can't open 100%.  The real noise comes in the last
little bit of throttle as the motor starts to bark. If you take this hollow
growl out the result is the power is almost the same and the model is much
quieter.

I learned this little trick from one of your local boys, Peter Goldsmith.
Basically you just need to go out with a noise meter and play with some
props at different RPMS. I make the change in prop and dial in what RPMS
will make noise and go fly it and see what the results are.

I find that the 17-12W and 17-12 can turn up around 8000-8100 and it meets
noise, and the power is as good and in some cases better than anything out
there. If you are not on the noise meter then you can just run it at 100%
ATV and have more pull than any other setup even the Flower powered models.

Another prop that really reduces noise but absorbs horsepower is the 15.5-12
4B....This prop is very very quiet at 8600 as the tip speeds are down. The
problem is on really windy conditions I feel its not quite the best setup
for wind. But in dead calm and thick air its pretty cool and a good Flower
power equivalent as far as speed control and sound both on the meter and in
the air.

Troy