Discussion List (Batteries)

Jerry Budd jerry at buddengineering.com
Mon Nov 21 00:25:53 AKST 2005

>OK, how's this:  I got seriously involved in electric power until my three
>sets of batteries shot craps after about 25 cycles each, was going to go
>back to IC for a while until it looked liked the batteries were going to
>hold up better, but my source for the interim airplane and power unit got
>later and later so I was effectively out of the loop for the season.  I've
>kept myself busy with other stuff(good and bad)--and don't know what the
>latest skinny is on batteries.  Anyone?

OK, I'll bite.

Currently, I have 84 flights on my Abbra (1st flight was July 4th),
all on three sets of battery packs (TP5300's), with the fllowing
cycles:

Battery Pack #1 - 36 flights
Battery Pack #2 - 29 flights
Battery Pack #3 - 19 flights

On a typical Masters flight I use between 3200 and 3800 mAh depending
on the wind, how large/small of maneuvers I did, and how fast I flew.
My practice flights normally consist of flying the sequence, then two
or three additional maneuvers, and landing.  Every once in a while
I'll use around 4000-4200 mAh, but that's not the norm, usually I
restarted the sequence or repeated a particular maneuver a couple of
extra times.  All of these flights lasted < 10 minutes (my timer is
set to 8 minutes).  I've had no issues with the batteries, in fact
each set of the batteries charge up to very close to the same amount
of mAh replaced after a flight (comparing left vs right).  When I
plug in the TP 5 cell balancer after a recharge session, it barely
does anything at all, just flickers for a couple of seconds and then
goes out.  My conclusion is that these batteries are very closely
matched wrt impedance (which is what I'd expect/hope for).

My peak current on the ground is ~70 amps and my batteries come out
of the airplane after a flight at less than 110 deg F.  Motor temps
range from 130 deg on a 70 deg day to the 150's on a 100+ deg day
(I'm thinking I need to do a bit more work on the baffling around the
motor).  The speed controller operates at ambient temps.  Here's the
equipment breakout:

Motor: Hacker C50-14XL
ESC: Hacker Master 90-0-ACRO
Batteries: Thunder Power 10s4p 5300mAh