Discussion List (Batteries)

Rodney Tanner rodney19821982 at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 17 22:07:56 AKST 2005

I have held off posting on this topic all year, so here is my $0.02 worth. Like a lot of other people, I have been looking into e-pattern possibilities, pros and cons, over the summer.

  I have decided to hold off, due to cost and the inherent instability of these large LiPo packs. Pics of a van on fire on the RCU e-pattern list were a little off putting too.
  Reading the TP literature on charging was, I thought, very illuminating and responsible on their part. What they are saying, in essence, is that the care and attention required for these packs is not to be taken lightly; very much a tone of "let the buyer be aware and beware". This not plug it in and leave it stuff here!
  I think it is great that there are experimenters and top level pilots moving the development along at such an impressive pace.
  I think it comes down to the fact that I am very happy with my current OS 140RX set ups. I know the arguments for less vibration, longer servo life, bigger props, constant flight speed and precise throttle control, but the cost/benefit and potential down side equation just does´nt add up for me, given that I´m pretty happy with what I have.
  The only "problem" is that my next project (Oaxi Pinnacle - custom colors, with an OS 160 FI) is probably going to cost more than the last one (Tempest), but now justifiable given the fact that it will still be cheaper than going electric. :-)

  Rodney Tanner
  NSRCA #2906

Richard Strickland <richard.s at allied-callaway.com> wrote:
  OK, how's this: I got seriously involved in electric power until my three
sets of batteries shot craps after about 25 cycles each, was going to go
back to IC for a while until it looked liked the batteries were going to
hold up better, but my source for the interim airplane and power unit got
later and later so I was effectively out of the loop for the season. I've
kept myself busy with other stuff(good and bad)--and don't know what the
latest skinny is on batteries. Anyone?

Richard