Discussion List (Batteries)

Rcmaster199 at aol.com Rcmaster199 at aol.com
Fri Nov 18 18:20:28 AKST 2005

There are two mutually exclusive factors at work:  ARFs and prefabs  and the
need for light, strong airframes. I understand all the reasons why ARF's  and
prefabs are here to stay and I even agree with some of them. What I don't
agree with is taking someone else's idea of how heavy something should be to
work, and make it one's own. There's alot of room for improvement in that  area

In my view, a lighter but just as whale-like, 2m electric platform  will
require expert building from the ground up. I challenge my pattern brethren  to
start redeveloping those forgotten skills again. It's exactly what's needed  for
electric at its present state of development. Prefab is great but if you
really want to save a pound or more, learn to build it from scratch and learn to
take the vibration absorbing fat out.

And if you must, at least challenge the kit makers to come up with lighter
solutions to the landing gear mounts. Nat and I have written a bit about that
before. That isn't difficult at all and it will save about a half pound by
itself on any plane that doesn't have a built in mount in the fuse.

1/16",  3/32" and 1/8" molded balsa isn't that hard a technique  to master
and offers terrific strength for the weight. I'm not talking about  that goofey
planking that some have passed on as molded, but reall molded  balsa-wood.
Stunt guys use it all the time

MattK

In a message dated 11/18/2005 1:18:53 PM Eastern Standard Time,