[SPAM] Re: Growing pattern

Rodney Tanner rodney19821982 at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 18 11:15:22 AKST 2005

Good points Mike:
  I have had a another frustrating year trying to help get Pattern going again here in Mexico, trying to generate critical mass and support for contests and a national organization to be afiliated to the NSRCA.
  Lately I have gone back to walking the walk at the grass roots level: my local club. You are dead right about the bucket analogy. I have been hanging out again with some old IMAC buddies, flying the Tempest and they are agree it´s great to watch, going through the Advanced and Masters schedules. A couple say they are working on Pattern planes now, because they want to improve their precision flying.
  The I am working with three 401 flyers at the moment, just concentrating on the basics and getting them onto the rudder and trimming. I know that's only three guys but I know they are talking to others.
  Cheers
  Rodney

Mike Hester <kerlock at comcast.net> wrote:

  @page Section1 {size: 8.5in 11.0in; margin: 1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin: .5in; mso-footer-margin: .5in; mso-paper-source: 0; }  P.MsoNormal {   FONT-SIZE: 12pt; MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; FONT-FAMILY: "Times New Roman"; mso-style-parent: ""; mso-pagination: widow-orphan; mso-fareast-font-family: "Times New Roman"  }  LI.MsoNormal {   FONT-SIZE: 12pt; MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; FONT-FAMILY: "Times New Roman"; mso-style-parent: ""; mso-pagination: widow-orphan; mso-fareast-font-family: "Times New Roman"  }  DIV.MsoNormal {   FONT-SIZE: 12pt; MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; FONT-FAMILY: "Times New Roman"; mso-style-parent: ""; mso-pagination: widow-orphan; mso-fareast-font-family: "Times New Roman"  }  P.MsoFooter {   FONT-SIZE: 12pt; MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; FONT-FAMILY: "Times New Roman"; mso-pagination: widow-orphan; mso-fareast-font-family: "Times New Roman"; tab-stops: center 3.0in right 6.0in  }  LI.MsoFooter {   FONT-SIZE: 12pt; MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; FONT-FAMILY: "Times New Roman";
 mso-pagination: widow-orphan; mso-fareast-font-family: "Times New Roman"; tab-stops: center 3.0in right 6.0in  }  DIV.MsoFooter {   FONT-SIZE: 12pt; MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; FONT-FAMILY: "Times New Roman"; mso-pagination: widow-orphan; mso-fareast-font-family: "Times New Roman"; tab-stops: center 3.0in right 6.0in  }  A:link {   COLOR: blue; TEXT-DECORATION: underline; text-underline: single  }  SPAN.MsoHyperlink {   COLOR: blue; TEXT-DECORATION: underline; text-underline: single  }  A:visited {   COLOR: purple; TEXT-DECORATION: underline; text-underline: single  }  SPAN.MsoHyperlinkFollowed {   COLOR: purple; TEXT-DECORATION: underline; text-underline: single  }  SPAN.EmailStyle17 {   COLOR: windowtext; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; mso-style-type: personal-compose; mso-style-noshow: yes; mso-ansi-font-size: 10.0pt; mso-bidi-font-size: 10.0pt; mso-ascii-font-family: Arial; mso-hansi-font-family: Arial; mso-bidi-font-family: Arial  }  SPAN.SpellE {   mso-style-name: ""; mso-spl-e: yes  }
 SPAN.GramE {   mso-style-name: ""; mso-gram-e: yes  }  DIV.Section1 {   page: Section1  }      That's a good question Chuck. Now here's a few for everyone.

  Without exposure, and by that I mean POSITIVE exposure, it's a bit difficult to gain new interest from people outside of competition pattern flying. It can be done, but slowly.

  Now what about the people we already have, or the people we USED to have? Have you picked up the phone or sent an email to any previous members you haven't seen in a while? I have, I do it all the time. If you have a hole in the bucket, you will never be able to pour enough new into it to keep it full.

  When you're at the local flying field, do you make it a point to fly when there are a lot of people around, or only when it's not so crowded? Let's face it, most of us cringe at the thought of putting our pride and joy up there with a bunch of nuts who can barely make left turns, and have no idea that the left stick moves sideways too. But if you aren't seen a good bit, and make it a point to be seen positively, then you become invisible. So do you do it, or let somebody else take that chance?

  Have you talked at least one person into actually attending a contest this year?

  Have you taken the time to help anyone with thier flying?

  Have you worn your NSRCA attire on common flying days?

  Have you sent common flyers to the NSRCA web site?

  Have you handed out K-Factors to average people?

  Have you actively used internet forums and mailing lists to solicit/advertise for new potentials, and been extremely helpful (even if arguementative)?

  Have you taken the time to help someone build and/or properly align an airframe, pattern guy or not?

  If/when people mention you are a very good pilot, do you just say "thanks", or do you make it a point to tell them it's because you practice precision aerobatics?

  Have you BSed with the locals and told good stories about how much fun it is to compete, going into that last round with only a couple fractions of points between you and the next guy, knowing whoever blinks loses...you know, talk it up.....and make mention that there is no REAL pressure, only as much as you put on yourself....and that most guys in the entry class fly about the same as them, give or take?

  How many contests have you attended this last year? If less than 4 and there ARE 4 contests within reasonable driving distance.....why? Was it because you legitimately have a good reason, or because you just didn't go "because"?

  Have you volunteered to do anything for the NSRCA lately?

  If you can't answer "yes" to all of these, you aren't doing YOUR part. Let's face it, you can't put a gun to someone's head and make them go to a contest. All you can do is lay it out before them, and make it as appealing as possible. Then some will do it, some won't, that's human nature. MOST won't. We have to accept that and work with what we CAN get.

  And policy wise, perhaps we should put more emphasis on fixing existing problems to keep the people we already have.

  "Ask not what the NSRCA can do for you, but what you can do...." well you get the idea.

  -Mike