Growing pattern

Ed Alt ed_alt at hotmail.com
Fri Nov 18 01:19:25 AKST 2005

So Chuck, what do you plan on doing after this email post of yours?  I'm
away on business travel this week and only have a few minutes a day to
monitor the list and have been patiently watching for something more to pop
up regarding this topic, so thanks for that.  I feel strongly about the need
to do several positive things to grow Pattern.  I have some definite ideas
and suggestions for our D1 VP to consider, as well as the rest of the NSRCA
leadership.  For example, designate a small team per region to monitor
forums such as RCU to see who is asking aerobatics related questions that
may deserve answers from the Pattern community.

I try to do this in both the Pattern and IMAC forums.  Every week or two on
average there is someone asking a question or posting a response in the IMAC
forum who just might be a real Pattern candidate, if only they were a little
better informed.  So I try to inform them with what I have learned so far.
It's usually very basic stuff too.  Guys are always asking things like "Gee,
I  still have this (fill in the blanks) 70 inch wingspan thing" that fits
into what could be flown in Pattern Sportsman or IMAC Basic.  The post
always contains basic bio info such as where they are from, so I go to
Mapquest and then to the D1 website and give them an answer which includes
things like what contests there are in D1 that they can reach out and touch
easily.  I also tell them something about the IMAC contests that still exist
(yes, they are on the DECLINE in the NE as Pattern is simultaneously GROWING
in D1).  Everything I give them is 100% factual based on what I know about
IMAC history in my region (I used to be the IMAC NE Regional Director) and
is based on the last contest season for both IMAC and Pattern as a
reasonable point of reference.

Chuck, we aren't likely to get more than a handful of responses on the list
that aren't meant to tickle the funny bone and make fun of the topic.  I'm a
little disappointed too.  So I suggest that you and the other few who might
have a similar interest just grab your district VP by the collarbone and
yank.  Get your ideas directly into their ear and insist on active
participation and results.  I think that our district VP is of a similar
mindset and there probably isn't going to be much to block progress with him
by brainstorming and taking initiative, other than the normal pressures we
all have in our daily lives.  Put some pressure on your leadership to
actually do something if they aren't already.  That's where delegation of
responsibility comes in if they are too busy to do it all themselves, which
is totally understandable.  Inaction, however, isn't forgiveable..  If you
really care about this and think it's a real problem, then please do more
than simply complain to this email list, because it will take more than that
for real results.

Regards,
Ed

List members email returned for mailbox full will be removed from the list.