2.4 Ghz radio

Troy A. Newman troy_newman at msn.com
Thu Nov 17 16:52:21 AKST 2005

Bob,

The DX6 is just such a  radio system. The problem is why invest more money
to develop a 72mhz system that does this when the 2.4ghz system has other
advantages over the 72mhz stuff. Plus the fact that we in the RC industry
are slow to change as some changes like this one can make previous equipment
obsolete and in some cases no longer useable. The FCC doesn't require model
systems on 72mhz to use some type of scanning system, not that this wouldn't
be useful...Just that it is not a part of the rules to play on 72mhz. On
2.4ghz it is part of the rules. Competition in the market place sometimes
drives the show. Not that it has in this case. I don't know. I don't have
any inside info on it.

There are lots of advantages in going to 2.4ghz as the band in use. One
could be bandwidth and the amount of info capable to send on the signal.
Another huge one that I know for a fact is that model generated RF noise is
not at this high frequency. SO metal to metal, gas engine ignition systems,
turbine fuel pumps, and lots of other model generated noise is at lower
frequency than the 2.4 Ghz. The result is the DSM system is not affected by
this model generated stuff.

Another reason lets face it modelers are very weary to change. The majority
of modelers play with their toy airplanes. The manufacturers can offer lots
of new and technically better products just like Personal computers the
problem is R+D and marketing makes sense to keep to what works and enhance
it. The competition guys tend to drive the technology higher and higher, but
the average guy with his toy airplane doesn't see the need nor is he willing
to paying for many of the features that will make his experience better.
Let's face it there are lots of ways to enjoy our hobby and we don't want to
exclude anyone. Sometimes price can do this.  Horizon Hobby went out on a
limb with this new technology. It worked! And now they are making it
available to us modelers.

There is no doubt in my mind that we as modelers could have lots of ideas on
how to improve our radio systems. Until recently the change has been in
features offered for the price but still using the same connection as we
used since about 1990 for the PCM stuff and back into the 70's or before for
the way the system works. It was before my time for sure. Today the Spektrum
system has brought us to the Secure link like DSM.

My understanding is this scanning and frequency use system is fairly new
technology by the time it trickles down to modelers it has been around the
real world for a while. Even if JR or Futaba would produce a 72mhz scanning
system, the result is the cries from modelers all over the country..."Don't
make my old stuff obsolete" so the chances could still be that the pilot
could still be shot down. In order for this to work all modelers must use
it...They won't....Just like so many people that won't use PCM today even
though it is an even more secure link than FM (PPM) systems. Look at the
people that fly Airtronics, Futaba, JR, Hitec, and Your Polk's Hobby system.
If say JR announce all their radios are scanning capable then another
company could come in and say we can sell it cheaper because you don't need
it...The reality is we don't need it if everybody watches the frequency
control system of their local flying field.

The 2.4ghz system is new and it is mandated by the FCC that it be a scanning
type of system, and the result is all 2.4ghz system will be on it...So once
we all go to flying Spektrum radios you will have your safety...Or at least
the guys that are flying on 2.4Ghz systems will have it and the rest of the
modelers that want to use their 72mhz stuff will still need to be concerned
with frequency control.

Spektrum is a solution to this. Is it available for that Pattern model..Not
yet! But the DX6 is the first step in that direction.

I know I will not fly any park flyers or foamy models on anything else. It
so easy and simple...No frequency control is nice.

Troy