Is it time to redesign?

L Caldwell larryc4 at cebridge.net
Fri Nov 11 16:12:58 AKST 2005

John,

As a newcomer, I cannot answer many of your questions, but I do believe
I can come up with an honest opinion to one of them.  If pattern is
presented as a means of feeding world class contestants as the reason
for its' existance, you eventually won't have to worry about as many
local contests.  If you are to keep a supply of new pattern
participants, the sport needs to viewed as something that most any
serious rc flyer can participate in, enjoy himself, and improve their
flying skills at the same time.

Is that wandering in another direction?  Maybe so, but it may have a
better view when you reach the destination.

My opinion only.

Larry Caldwell

John Ferrell wrote:

> Is it time to redesign the AMA Pattern event?
> Are the four classes we are flying working for local contests? To the
> hosting clubs this means buying trophies for half the contestants on a
> good day...
> Has the practice of a two day event helped or hindered attendance?
>
> Is the pressure to judge a deterrent to participation?
> Are the rules too broad for the equipment we use? The electrics have an
> advantage for sure!
>
> Is the real objective to feed the FAI class with World Class contestants
> or is it something a little less lofty?
>
> Does the fact I dare ask these questions mean I am inclined to wander
> off in another direction?
>
> Things can not return to "how they used to be" because the whole
> environment has changed. Our dwindling numbers must not be ignored
> unless the consensus is that we are comfortable in allowing Precision
> Aerobatics to go the way of control line competition.
>
> I believe the most important issue before us at this time is survival!
>
> John Ferrell
> http://DixieNC.US

List members email returned for mailbox full will be removed from the list.