[SPAM] Growing Pattern

Jay Marshall lightfoot at sc.rr.com
Fri Nov 11 13:07:15 AKST 2005

Dave is 100% on target. I too have just attended my first contest.
Unfortunately I was a victim of mechanical problems during practice and did
not compete. Still, I have never met a greater group of helpful people. A
stranger even lent me an engine, although it didn't clear all of my
problems.

Equipment IS important (perception). After observing at two contests with a
total of over 50 flyers, I have only seen 3 planes smaller than 2M (4 if you
count mine)! I don't feel hopeful when I take my Javelin up against a 2M
which I know someone has invested $3K. That doesn't make him a better flyer
but let's face it, the plane gives him an edge. That being said, Dave, we'll
see how my Showtime does next season.

The contests ARE laid back, and they are NOT, unfortunately, spectator
events. Perhaps the latter is one of the problems. I don't believe a casual
spectator would have any idea of what is going on or how the event is
progressing. Do IMAC event have 5 rounds over 2 days? I was casually
watching a bull riding event on ESPN the other night and one of the things I
noticed was the anticipation and excitement as the event progressed because
the leaders up to that point came on last. Each round started with the lower
scoring riders first so if they made a good ride they were, momentarily,
ahead of the previous leaders. Adds excitement! Perhaps we need a real-time
scoreboard?

The public interest in pattern flying is nil. We only fly for ourselves. Not
the recipe for a successful, growing, sport. Do we think the public is not
interested? Look at NASCAR, bull riding, Formula One, etc. The public will
never participate in these activities, but they watch and enjoy. Even flying
events with more pizzazz attract - just look at the Joe Nall, FL. Jets, and
Top Gun. Personally (and I'll get a lot of flack), I think centralizing the
NATs in the same location year-after-year creates a great local tourist
event but does nothing for the sport. One of my greatest thrills a kid was
when my dad took me to the Tangerine Internationals (as it was called then)
in Orlando. We have very few kids in the sport today. In the first place, it
is too expensive. Secondly, it is not very visible. Thirdly, we need to
spend more time reaching out to youth groups and get them involved. Park
flyers may be the salvation of the sport! Perhaps we need an under-12 park
flyer event.

Dave, you say IMAC is trying to quieten the planes? I have to admit that one
of first impressions at a pattern contest was how quiet the aircraft were.
Can't say the same of the IMAC flyers I am familiar with, or even with many
casual sport flyers. If clubs are to continue to find reasonable sites then
they must enforce noise restrictions. Some of our comrades are really
alienating the neighbors and forcing the fields further into the boondocks -
exactly what we don't need. I'm sure the DIII Championship contestants won't
forget being chained in this year by an irate citizen.

Maybe AMA/NSRCA should hire some marketing and survey people?
Enough rambling on..