[SPAM] Growing Pattern

davidmichael1 at comcast.net davidmichael1 at comcast.net
Fri Nov 11 11:42:23 AKST 2005

Dave,

I'll comment on this if I may.  Before I do I want to say for the record that, as you know, I am IMAC focused but very much enjoyed my first pattern contest recently and have always had an interest.  I would like to see pattern grow.  I'm sure this is a very old discussion for most of you but it's new to me.

Having said that, I have been thinking about some things ever since the Arcola contest and have wondered about how to position my thoughts and questions so that they can be used constructively. Perhaps I can offer a different perspective given my situation.

I had heard talk in the past about where pattern is now - is interest decreasing and how to increase participation?  I've heard it in person, I've read about it in magazines and online and I see it here on this list.  So, I can feel pretty comfortable in concluding that it is a big- if not the biggest issue for pattern right now.

On the other hand IMAC has seemingly been growing.  I say seemingly because I witnessed a fairly large increase in participation over the last few years but think it might be slowing down a little now.  Just my own observation.

So, let's compare and contrast IMAC and pattern:

Same:

Fun competition based on flying  aerobatics
Makes you a better flyer
Not too expensive to get into but expensive to play at the high end (IMAC is now way more expensive considering equipment and support equipment neccessary, so the money is not the issue).
People - for the most part- see demographic comment below.  I will say that the group at Arcola was as nice a group of flyers as at any event I have attended.
Requires commitment of some sort depending on what your goal is.
Cool airplanes.

Different:
Many people already have an IMAC plane, working knowledge on the equipment and how to get it in the air, and local support on that kind of plane before they think about entering a contest.  This isn't true for pattern.
Knowns change every year in IMAC
IMAC planes can require more build time, cost more, are harder to store and transport and require more work and time to set up and tear down.  Their sheer size can be a real pain in the butt.
More complex knowns in IMAC (rollers start in Intermediate, snaps, etc) , more concentration on precision aerobatics in pattern
IMAC has unknowns
IMAC has Freestyle with Music
Size of planes
IMAC is noisier (though now much quieter, it is still a focus to reduce noise levels)
Demographics-  NOTE:  this is only my observation based on a single contest- I may be wrong here:  My observation was that the average pattern flyer was older than what I have seen at IMAC contests.
Contest size-  We had 18 in Arcola and management was very pleased.  IMAC in the NE averages in the low 30's.
Class sizes.  Evenly distributed (at least not bottom heavy) in pattern.  Very bottom heavy in IMAC.  It is not uncommon to see 10-15 in Basic or Sportsman at an IMAC contest.

So what do I, as a relative newcomer, see as the reasons why pattern isn't growing and what can be done about it?  These are my opinions only and you know what opinions are like...... anway:

1.  Equipment:  Perception is reality and the perception is that you need to go and get a specialty airplane to fly pattern.  I'd rather fly what I already have in my basement and I don't have a "pattern plane" in my basement.  Case in point- the only reason I went to the Arcola contest was because of the "use any plane up to 26lbs in Sportsman & Intermediate format that was offered- then I found a great deal on a turn-key plane and just bought it.  Otherwise, I wouldn't have been there.

Potential Solutions:  a) Institute a "use any plane in Sportsman with no size restriction rule".  IMAC does the same in Basic.  You can fly a pattern plane in an IMAC contest but not visa versa.  b) Introduction of more Pattern like planes into the general flying market- difficult to make happen but, for example, the Hanger Nine Showtime  is a great example of a crossover plane that can do this.

2. Contest Atmosphere:  Please- no offense intended here- just constructive feedback.  Personally, I felt less charge in the air at the Pattern contest.  In fact, I had some friends stop by to see it and they said the same thing to me- really laid back, quiet, easy going.  Maybe that's ok and what is desired but maybe not.

Potential Solutions: Introduction of a) Unknowns  b)Freestyles ( I know about Artistic Aerobatics- is anyone doing this?).

It really isn't much more work to do unknowns.  What about doing unknowns in all classes or all but Sportsman constitutes a prohibitive increase in workload?  People enjoy doing them.  Isn't the goal to increase participation and not to keep things easy for the CD?  IMAC advertises events to the general public and people come just to see the freestyle- and end up staying and watching the rest.

3. Perception with your target audience.  In this case, young flyers who will grow through the classes as they gain experience.  Again, no offense intended, just my perception of how people feel:  My perception is that people think that pattern is resistant to change and slow moving.  Afraid to change.  Sacred in its current state.  Boring.

Potential Solutions:  You said it yourself.  It's boring, just not to us.  I have read comments that pattern is not boring to us since we "get it" and that's just how it is.  Wow- can you imagine if you tried to run a business that way?  Dismissing potential customers as "just not getting it?"  Pattern would benefit from finding ways to help people "get it" and by adapting the product so that it is more appealing to the target audience.  This is where any resistance to change will hurt pattern's growth.

I would suggest that knowledge about what interests the target audience and an open mind about where pattern goes from here would be an invaluable tool in shaping pattern so that it grows- the number one goal should be to grow pattern not to keep it the same as it is.  Think outside the box- no potential change should be immediately dismissed.  Utilize tools like RCU to poll your target audience and listen to what they say as the powers that be shape pattern going forward.

Sorry so long winded.

Just some thoughts.

Dave Michael