What constitutes an FAI flyer.

Adam Glatt adam.g at sasktel.net
Thu Nov 10 20:18:46 AKST 2005

It's an interesting question, Eric.  Made me think thoughts I hadn't before.

My situation is markedly different than the primary market for this
discussion list.  In Canada making the national team is not terribly
difficult, and is a real possibility for a capable pilot who puts in a
few consecutive years of dedicated practice and budgeting.  In 2001
Ireland we sent Chad, Jeff, and Mike.  For 2003 Poland, Jeff didn't try
out, Mike qualified but chose not to go (I went in his place), and
new-to-the-team Dan joined Chad.  Then 2005 France, Dez joined Chad and
I.  Team Trials for Argentina could again introduce a new team member
(or two!).  So in Canada the top guys fly FAI because they can do a
World Championship, while the guys just below the top fly FAI to improve
their own skill.

I dare say that pilots in the USA can't use the same reason for flying FAI.

-Adam

Grow Pattern wrote:
> This question has been going around in my mind since they came up with
> P-01 and F-01 and FAI wrote it up so that we, the USA, only fly the
> Finals at the Nat's or team trials.
>
> In the (my) old days they had schedules A,B, C etc right up to E. The
> A-schedule  was flown for two years with the new B-schedule as the
> finals schedule. Then the B was flown for two years with the C as the
> finals schedule and so on.
>
> Nowadays MOST FAI pilots really only fly the preliminary schedules.
> Next year it will by P-07. If most of the FAI pilots only compete with
> a P-schedule then I would submit that there is not much difference
> between an FAI pilot and a Masters pilot. Unless they make it into a
> Nat's or Team trials final (or semi final maybe).
>
> So maybe we are only being typically liberal and just spinning our
> wheels with a 406 class or perhaps I have been ignoring the obvious
> for years and I should accept that the P-series should be our Masters
> series.
>
> If not then maybe we should start running F-schedules on Sundays for
> FAI pilots flying AMA 406 at local contests.
>
> Lets face it you either are an FAI pilot or you are not. Just flying
> P-07 next year is like being half an FAI pilot!!!!.
>
> Looking to create a debate and hear what you think. Don't really want
> to upset the middle order of FAI pilots or create a fight, but
> definitively wanting to be a shade contentious.
>
> Regards.
>
> Eric.

List members email returned for mailbox full will be removed from the list.