Mailing List/K Factor

Stuart Chale schale at optonline.net
Thu Nov 3 03:42:39 AKST 2005

Besides my new reborn interest in pattern I breed freshwater angelfish.  I
have been doing that since about 1999.  Initially although there were some
angelfish websites the best source of timely information I could find was
from a list server called Stripes.  I learned a whole lot from the more
knowledgeable people on that list.  Somewhere along the line someone
introduced a forum like RCU and although there was a bit of reluctance to
switch, we tried it.  It didn't take long to realize that the forum was a
much better way to communicate.  I am sure everyone has used RCU and the
benefits have been listed.  The ONLY real potential downside that I can see
which has occurred with the angelfish forum is downtime.  The first one that
we mainly used had some downtime problems, sometimes for a few days.
Eventually we switched to forum # 2 which has worked better for the most
part.  A minor issue that I have seen with forums is anyone can set one up,
the software is available.  So if multiple pattern forums appear, which do
you frequent?  In regards to angelfish, the first forum we used is still up
and has a reasonable volume.  Some people only frequent one of the two, some
frequent both.

So although this list server is very beneficial to the pattern community and
I am sure everyone that uses it will want to thank Michael for being the
moderator, a switch to RCU (probably the best choice) or similar forum makes
a lot of sense with the current state of the internet and high speed access.
(pictures can be an issue with dial-up)

Stuart Chale

  _____