Pattern Judging Seminar Material

Dean Pappas d.pappas at kodeos.com
Tue Nov 1 07:01:30 AKST 2005

Bravo Pete,
This is the kind of thing we need to do.
The video tape provides an excellent outline and course syllabus. It's available from NSRCA. I like to interrupt the tape and discuss each chapter before moving on, but suit yourself.
There is a fair bit that is either missing or lacking from the tape. That's not a criticism of it, because what I am about to describe is outside of the video's mission.
You need to add discussions of the following:
1) Re-enforce the fact that we use the subtractive method.
2) Talk about the mechanics of how to add up the downgrades and not run out of time. Judges are terribly hurried, and the ability to be analytical, fast is probably the single greatest contribution to good judging.
Let's face it, if all we wanted is for people to watch the tape and read the Judges' Guide, they could do it easier at home!
3) Talk about the mechanics of getting a score into either the scribe's head, or onto a piece of paper. There are a varietey of methods, and some work for some people and don't for others. The new judge needs to experiment while praticing.
4) Convince the new judges that practice is absolutely necessary. Talk about practice strategies.

Oh yes ...It will really help to draft an experienced judge or two to be your "shills" in the crowd. They'll knowingly ask the dumb questions that genuine newbies are too embarrassed to ask.

Once again, Kudos.
    Dean

Dean Pappas
Sr. Design Engineer