Glow Engine Vs. Electric Engine for 2 m' pattern plane

Grow Pattern pattern4u at comcast.net
Tue May 31 21:08:08 AKDT 2005

John,
          I think that you might agree that what appears to be working for "sponsored" pilots may not yet be that realistic for those who spend their own hard earned dollars on the hobby.

I really don't feel that electric is that viable yet. Not from a technology point of view, but much more of a durability and reliability point of view. I note that the pioneers are starting to use less amps/volts in the motors to get more longevity out of not just  the motors but also the controllers and the battery packs. (A few months ago you did not hear this type of statement.)

I also note that it feels like and may well be true, that you have to know a lot more about the limits of electric motors and the associated equipment to be successful and safe. I contact many of the "electric" suppliers and find it very hard to get definitive answers on what I should and should not do as regards the set-ups and the limits.

Where this leads me is that I am currently on the side of caution with this stuff because you can use up a very large amount of money before you realize that you have not gone the right route. With glow most of us can sort out the enthusiast vs. the zealot vs. the professional user of the equipment. With electric I can't.

I read about the rave reviews of how well a certain system performs and then I get the flow of private e-mails with more factual and less glowing (No joke intended) realities of the set-up. In most cases I can't print what I am sent but it does concern me that when I tried to emulate the top system of the day it was both expensive beyond my expectations and did not perform all that well.

It was not enough to put me off pattern, but I had been a beginner it might easily have sent me away.

Regards,

Eric.