[SPAM] Re: Glow Engine Vs. Electric Engine for 2 m' pattern plane

Rick Kent knowhow3 at bellsouth.net
Tue May 31 06:27:11 AKDT 2005

There are a lot of folks in the Sportsman and Intermediate classes that fly
smaller electrics. One very popular plane for newcomers dabbling in
Sportsman is the GP Venus. This plane has been extensively covered on the
RCGroups electric conversion forums and on RCU. It can be outfitted for
significantly less than a full blown 2m ship. There are some new big
outrunner motors that are suitable for .90 size and 2m ships that will help
lower motor costs and eliminate gearbox hassles. Most people it seems go
straight for the 2 meter conversions, so not many .90 power conversions are
documented from what I've seen. The Quest is one that I've read about being
done a couple of times. Batteries are still the big dollar items at these
sizes, but battery performance is going up, so the bang-for-buck factor is
getting better. There are also new competitors emerging on the LiPo market.

Rick